Power-filled Positive Thinking—Chapter 11c—7 Steps to Realizing God’s Clear Direction
God has promised His wisdom to all who seek Him with all their heart (Proverbs 2:5-7). He has promised His clear guidance along this pilgrimage journey to all who are in Christ (Proverbs 3:5-7; John 16:13). Yet, how do we know what direction to take when life brings us a fork in the road? How do I know for certain that it is God directing me to pursue a different career or to make an important decision? This is a question I am asked often by friends. In my own life, it has been a question that I have had to ask as well.
picture is used by permission of Ronald Barba who owns the copyright ©2010
So what are the steps to knowing God’s will for my life?
1. Seek God first. We see that David throughout the Psalms would long for and seek after God. Psalm 42:1 is a beautiful illustration “As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God”.
2. Ask God to reveal His Plan. “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him” (James 1:5).
3. Trust in God’s Plan for life. “Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths” (Proverbs 3:5-6).
4. Meditate on God’s Word. “Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful.2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night.3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper” (Psalm 1:1-3).
5. Wait for Him to reveal His Plan. “4 For from of old no one has heard nor perceived by the ear, nor has the eye seen a God besides You, Who works and shows Himself active on behalf of him who [earnestly] waits for Him” (Isaiah 64:4 AMP).
6. Step forward boldly, confidently. Once you have done the previous steps and you feel God drawing you, step forth. Trust that He has this even when it looks scary. “9 And to make all men see what is the fellowship of the mystery, which from the beginning of the world hath been hid in God, who created all things by Jesus Christ:10 To the intent that now unto the principalities and powers in heavenly places might be known by the church the manifold wisdom of God,11 According to the eternal purpose which he purposed in Christ Jesus our Lord:12 In whom we have boldness and access with confidence by the faith of him” (Ephesians 3).
7. Stand firm. “13 Wherefore take unto you the whole armour of God, that ye may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand” (Ephesians 6)
Remember this, God is not going to let go of you—that is His Grace. He is the one who is holding you and has promised to complete his work in you. “23 The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord: and he delighteth in his way. 24 Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down: for the Lord upholdeth him with his hand” (Psalm 37). “6 Being confident of this very thing that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ:” (Philippians 1).
Let me end with this song, God Will Make A Way
Amplified Bible (AMP)
Copyright © 1954, 1958, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1987 by The Lockman Foundation
©2015 Effie Darlene Barba
Original artwork is that of Ronald Barba. For more information please go to http://fineartamerica.com/featured/broken-and-contrite-heart-ronald-barba.html
Disclosure of Material Connection: I have not received any compensation for writing this post. I have no material connection to the brands, products, or services that I have mentioned. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255: "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.